Security Research Specialist (106255)
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
Our applied research team are at the forefront of technology and innovation. We’re working on the technologies everyone else will see in the future, but here at BT you’ll get to work on them right now.
This is a technical role in Applied Research where you will apply your key expertise within a clearly defined sphere of technical security knowledge to complex business issues or opportunities. Actively engaging with colleagues to progress new research in important technical topics and support the realisation of business value from research and innovation outputs.
What you'll be doing
Specifically this role is accountable for:
Other skills you will need (additional to requirements listed on the left side of this page)
- Managing research projects/tasks, both internal to Applied Research and with collaborative partners
- Contributing specialist technical knowledge and leading specific project task(s), making clear technical recommendations which lead to new solutions to business challenges and opportunities in areas supporting BT’s strategic priorities, or new fields with potential impact on BT’s future business
- Maintaining awareness of advances in their field and the activities of other researchers or organisations
- Responsible for intellectual property creation, managing patent filing in their team and supporting IPR exploitation where appropriate
- Contributing to journal publications, popular science articles etc. which contribute to BT’s world-class standing in telecommunications and ICT research
- Accountable for defining and performing research in a specific domain (i.e. Security) or area that is typically unknown, complex, high impact and high value across multiple domains
- Providing consultancy on their area of expertise to LoBs and other R&D project teams as required
- Responsible for authoring thought leadership technical papers, capturing intellectual property
- Influencing the strategic direction of technical projects within BT in order to intercept the most appropriate market opportunity with best effect
- Proposing new opportunities for BT arising from their research (e.g. new revenues, cost savings or improvements to customer service) for consideration by the Research and Innovation Oversight Group
Why choose us?
- Technical domain expert: Deep technical or domain expertise. Continually develop expertise in a key technical area so you are recognised as a technical expert in that domain
- Qualifications: Strong academic record in technology specialism with post-graduate qualification(s) (PhD or equivalent research experience)
- Expert communicator: Regularly presents to peers and managers about their research and area of technical expertise
- Experienced in open innovation: Skilled in patenting, technical publications, conference presentations etc
- Story-telling with data: strong skills in building the case for change, drawing on data and analytical techniques where appropriate, and communicating this to business audiences
- Concept Evaluation: ability to spot relevant innovations, horizon scanning, determine relevance for the business, develop an effective conceptualisation and build trials to test the concept
We’ve always been an organisation with purpose; to use the power of communications to make a better world. You can trace this back to our beginning as pioneers of the world’s first telecommunications company. At our heart we’re a technology company with research and innovation in our bones and a desire to be personal, simple, and brilliant for our customers - those are the values we live by whilst also creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed.
Our pursuit of progress over the past 180 years has established BT as a strong, successful brand, with huge scale capable of achieving great things. From supporting emergency services, hospitals, banks and keeping economies around the world online, safe and secure, to delivering large scale technology infrastructure like the creation of BT Sport.
Today in this fast changing, always on, digital world our purpose remains true. Yet the market conditions, regulation and competition we face are tougher than ever before. So if you have the drive, optimism and resilience to help propel us forward we’ll offer unrivalled personal development, a wealth of opportunities to learn, experience new things and pursue new careers. If that’s you and what you’re looking for, we’d love you to be part of our future
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.