Security Research Manager - IoT e2e Security (106263)
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
Our Applied Research team work at the forefront of technological innovation, not only powering BT but transforming the world. In our labs we develop and test the latest technologies which will be a vital part of the future digital services consumed by millions of individuals and by global businesses.
We are looking for a Lead Technical Expert to join our Applied Research team as a Security Research Manager. You will be an expert within IoT architecture/implementation technologies and Security architectures & design. You’ll apply this expert knowledge to lead research projects and activities which are addressing complex business issues or opportunities.
You’ll be leading and delivering novel research work areas with specialist security technical knowledge, providing clear detailed technical recommendations which lead to new solutions to business challenges and opportunities in areas supporting BT’s strategic priorities, or new fields with potential impact on BT’s future business.
What you'll be doing
Other skills you will need (additional to requirements listed on the left side of this page)
- Providing leadership of research activity/project in one or more technical areas, and to propose new research directions to the Research and Innovation Oversight Group (RIO)
- Managing research projects comprising of matrixed resources, both internal to BT and/or with collaborative partners
- Proposing and pursuing new opportunities for BT arising from the research (e.g. new revenues, cost savings or improvements to customer service).
- Developing a strategy for the group to achieve excellence in their field and impact on the business.
Negotiating and establishing new collaborative research projects with external business partners and/or universities
- Owning and leading research relationships with collaborative partners and vendors to deliver specific project outcomes
- Responsible for intellectual property creation, managing patent filing in their team and supporting IPR exploitation where appropriate
- Accountable for defining and performing research in your specific domain (i.e. Security) or area that is typically unknown, complex, high impact and high value across multiple domains
- Responsible for authoring thought leadership technical papers, capturing intellectual property, and supervising professionals, graduates and post-graduate student placements and secondments
Why choose us?
- Deep technical or domain expertise, continually developing your expertise in these key technical areas so you are recognised as a technical expert in that domain and an innovative thinker
- Strong academic record in technology specialism with post-graduate qualification(s) (PhD or equivalent research experience)
- Regularly presents to peers and managers about their research and area of technical expertise.
Experienced in open innovation - Skilled in patenting, technical publications, conference presentations etc
- Concept Evaluation: ability to spot relevant innovations, horizon scanning, determine relevance for the business, develop an effective conceptualisation and build trials to test the concept
- Commercial Applicability - understanding the business case principals around relevant innovations and the real value to the business through value proposition build
We’ve always been an organisation with purpose; to use the power of communications to make a better world. You can trace this back to our beginning as pioneers of the world’s first telecommunications company. At our heart we’re a technology company with research and innovation in our bones and a desire to be personal, simple, and brilliant for our customers - those are the values we live by whilst also creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed.
Our pursuit of progress over the past 180 years has established BT as a strong, successful brand, with huge scale capable of achieving great things. From supporting emergency services, hospitals, banks and keeping economies around the world online, safe and secure, to delivering large scale technology infrastructure like the creation of BT Sport.
Today in this fast changing, always on, digital world our purpose remains true. Yet the market conditions, regulation and competition we face are tougher than ever before. So if you have the drive, optimism and resilience to help propel us forward we’ll offer unrivalled personal development, a wealth of opportunities to learn, experience new things and pursue new careers. If that’s you and what you’re looking for, we’d love you to be part of our future.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.