Research Specialist - Smart Infrastructure (IoT) (105981)
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
Our Applied Research team work at the forefront of technological innovation, not only powering BT but transforming the world. In our labs we develop and test the latest technologies which will be a vital part of the future digital services consumed by millions of individuals and by global businesses.
This role is an exciting opportunity within our Internet of Things (IoT) research area where you will apply your world-class technical skills and expertise to shape the ‘Future Smart Infrastructure’ which will underpin the digital transformation of industries, organisations and individuals.
You will have a passion for innovation. Working on key technical challenges, developing prototypes and trailing emerging cloud and edge-based IoT technologies in real-world environments.
Collaboration will be key. You will enjoy engaging with colleagues, industrial partners and universities to identify the best solutions to problems and to drive business value from your research work.
What you'll be doing
Other skills you will need (additional to requirements listed on the left side of this page)
- Managing research projects/tasks, both internal to Applied Research and with collaborative partners
- Domain expert responsible for maintaining expertise in the Smart Infrastructure technical domain
- Responsible for intellectual property creation, managing patent filing in their team and supporting IPR exploitation where appropriate
- Accountable for defining and performing research in the specific Smart Infrastructure domain or a related area that is typically unknown, complex, high impact and high value across multiple domains
- Responsible for authoring thought leadership technical papers, capturing intellectual property
- Supervision of graduate and post-graduate student placements and secondments
Strong evidence of at least two of:
Why choose us?
- Significant experience of software/hardware prototyping with technologies, such as: web apps, server-side programming, APIs, visualisation, dashboarding, mobile apps, containers micro-services, orchestrations and application bursting.
- Strong understanding of at least one of the key IoT networks technologies, such as: 5G slicing for IoT, LoRa, NB-IoT, LPWAN.
- Experience of applying AI, deep learning, data/edge analytics, data mining and big data technologies.
- Experience with platforms for service management and customer management; operations support systems; business support systems and SLA management approaches.
- An inquiring mind with a preference for working within less defined boundaries, excellent creativity, self-motivation and good written and oral communication skills, and must be passionate about achieving excellent results and using some of the latest technology to create something truly novel and publish them in academic journals or file them as patents.
We’ve always been an organisation with purpose; to use the power of communications to make a better world. You can trace this back to our beginning as pioneers of the world’s first telecommunications company. At our heart we’re a technology company with research and innovation in our bones and a desire to be personal, simple, and brilliant for our customers - those are the values we live by whilst also creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed.
Our pursuit of progress over the past 180 years has established BT as a strong, successful brand, with huge scale capable of achieving great things. From supporting emergency services, hospitals, banks and keeping economies around the world online, safe and secure, to delivering large scale technology infrastructure like the creation of BT Sport.
Today in this fast changing, always on, digital world our purpose remains true. Yet the market conditions, regulation and competition we face are tougher than ever before. So if you have the drive, optimism and resilience to help propel us forward we’ll offer unrivalled personal development, a wealth of opportunities to learn, experience new things and pursue new careers. If that’s you and what you’re looking for, we’d love you to be part of our future.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.